Sunday, September 28, 2008

my younger self...

Dear Angela
I haven’t heard from you for a long time. But I still remember the last time you wrote to me, when you asked me how was I doing? And you told me about how excited you were to start a new life in University. Well, lately I was thinking a lot about you and about the question you asked me and I think it’s only fair for me to tell you this now rather than later.
I’m not doing well to be quite honest. I always thought varsity life was the best thing ever but it’s not. There are things that I always took for granted like making friends and fitting in. I always thought making friends was the easiest thing anyone can do but now I have realized that it’s not. When I got here I didn’t know who I was and I didn’t understand how to make people accept me for who I am.
I remember those endless days and night when my soul was dying with sorrow, heart aching with pain and I would cry myself to sleep. I even remember saying to myself I’m not here to make friends or to fit in but I’m here to study. But eventually I realized what was wrong with me. I looked myself in the mirror which reflected where I was coming from and where I was. Then I realized that I was the girl from rural areas with nothing less and nothing more, but where I was everyone was coming from this well know suburb and they had something to say about themselves which I didn’t have.
But through everything I told myself that I wasn’t going to change for the sake of fitting in, because I wanted people to accept me for who I am. Though this was tough road for me, I went to doctors and clinical psychologist because now I was suffering from depression. Though people still had nasty things to say about the girl from rural areas.
One thing I have learnt from this experience is that if you believe you can weather any storm. Hope you will also learn something from my experience. Your altitude and determination will determine how far you go in life.
Love Aza

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template