Monday, October 20, 2008

EcPSyCholoGy

My last post was about counseling and how I’m not sure looking inward will solve any problems. I recently read a book by Theodore Roszak entitled The Voice of the Earth. It speaks about how our current way of life is completely insane because of how we so heedlessly and guiltlessly destroy the environment. He speaks about a sense of ecospsychology as something we have lost and need to regain if we want to survive on the planet and ultimately become a sane species.

Ecospsychology revolves around a broad understanding and appreciation for one’s surroundings. A consciousness attitude towards nature is advocated because that is where everything we have originates. This ideal of looking outward is exactly what I feel is needed. If people weren’t so self-centred and began to consider not only other humans, but the planet as well, we could perhaps move forward as a civilization. We can’t, as it currently stands, with the masses and masses of money-obsessed people everywhere you turn.

I wonder if the person I know would recover somewhat if she begun to understand this. So I suppose the next problem is how we can get people to understand this concept and embrace a more considerate mentality. Whether this is even possible is debatable.

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template