Friday, October 24, 2008

A learning curve for me

A learning curve for me
This module was very hectic for me but at the same time I have learnt a lot of things professional and personally about me. This terms work required us to plan our work and work as group. And for me that was really good because I learnt how to work with people though it was kind of hard at the same time because you had to plan the time for your meetings with your group, where sometimes some of your group members couldn’t make it so you had to wait or reschedule.
This course has allowed me to grow as an individual because it has allowed me to voice out what I think and made me realize or rather understand the society better. At the same time I must say, the course has been emotional removing for me because of the work load and the pressure we were always working under. I had times when I felt like leaving everything and go home because I felt like I couldn’t keep up with everything that was happening and what was expected of us to do.
Through everything that was been happening personally for me, I must say that this course has thought me more about journalism like working under pressure but still meeting deadlines. During the course we had to do a lot of research and it was very hard with the work and people not willing to contribute anything but at the end of the day you had to come up with a story. The research that we had to do on this course mostly involved students and from that I have learned to be patient with people make people trust and see me as a student not as journalist and also to interact with them in a good way.
Personally the course has made me understand different people. It was very emotional for me the interviews that I had with people were very sad because they told me their stories and put their trust in me and I didn’t trust myself with that keeping people’s secrets. I remember asking myself how people can still go on when they have so much on their shoulders. I felt like all the things they told me were just a big rifle place in my shoulders. Because now their problems were now mine because I had asked them to tell me their life stories. I remember one night when I cried my self to sleep after I had an interview with Itai Wanyuku for my profile it was like everything in my life was just to perfect Because of what his been through. Through everything I learned that you need to show your sources that you care about them while interviewing them, so they can see you are not a journalist passing by looking for a story but you are that person who is willing to listen to them and tell their stories. The course has been hectic but I believe it has made us strong and grow personally and professionally.
The course was very useful to use as journalist students because it included everything we have covered through out the year. It included all types of genres. It was very practical because we were applying all theories that we have covered narratives and profiles. It was also relevant to use as first years because it’s where we got a chance to express our selves and get to know each other about everything that has been happening.

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template